Friday, March 5, 2010

I have a friend

I have a friend. His name is Glen. He is fighting cancer. I have watched Glen over the years and I have found in him the substance of what it really means to be human. Regardless of the challenge, he endures. When he first began treatment, he continued to work as much as possible. That didn't last a long time. He went from full time, to part time to part-time to very little time. And finally to no time at all. During this process I never heard him complain. Instead, he always had a joke, and he always had a laugh to brighten up your day.


Because Glen is being attacked by cancer, he has been through many forms of treatment, most of which are very painful and suck the life out of him. There has been progress which has helped maintain hope. Still the cancer persists. I saw the pain was increasing but, whenever he had undergone treatment he has just said, “It's very difficult to go through this.” I know that means it is unbearable.

About the time the regular treatments stopped working to contain the cancer, Glen began a daily regimen of calling people he knew in different cities who were suffering from one kind of illness or another. He called to pray for them for just one minute. Although he was in pain and his life was at risk, he still practiced helping others as a way of life. His list was not large. It maybe had ten names on it. He was faithful. When I received his calls, it felt like a cool breeze on a hot summer day. I was refreshed and encouraged. He let me know that I wasn’t alone. His calls said somebody still cared enough for me to stay in touch. His calls and his caring confirmed to me that the world isn’t filled with selfish people. Glen would say “God has not forgotten you. His love is there for you if you will reach out to Him.”

Glen cannot make those daily phone calls anymore. I miss them. So now I call Glen. He is still fighting against cancer. His doctors are trying experimental drugs which have ugly side effects. Sometimes they seem to be working; at other times they seem to make it worse. He says one of the greatest obstacles for him to overcome is loneliness. "No one can really know what you're going through, unless they have been through it themselves." I’ve heard that quote from almost every person I know who has a disability or illness that keeps them out of the mainstream of life. Although Glenn spends much of his time by himself, he is also blessed with a great wife , two grown children, and two grandchildren.

Glen is a minister. As any person who works with people, Glen is accustomed to a lot of social interaction. But now, when people see him they too easily turn away, forget to return his phone call, or just not contact him at all.

People who are sick, infirm or aged can tell when their condition makes others uncomfortable. Questions run rampant. "What do I say?” “What can we talk about?” “How can I be encouraging?” There's no pat answer. The best place to start is to open your heart and let the compassion of God flow through you. Assist with the practical, listen more than you speak, and be there consistently. Be someone who can be counted on. Often simply having another person in the room makes a world of difference. We live at such a fast pace and have so many commitments. It is so easy to not notice or respond to the broken, aged, and ill among us. The baby boom generation is fast becoming a generation of elders. We will soon discover the fruit of our treatment of others, for we will be treated as we have treated others. My heartfelt prayer is that there are more people like Glen. I have observed in recent years that these people are the ones who glue us together.

I admire Glen. He is not consumed with self pity or grief. Although he is in pain, he is not a pain to be around. His faith is in God not in medicine. Although his future looks dim, he shines like a bright light in darkness. His hope is in a loving father, a healing savior, and an abiding holy spirit. Who do you know who would be blessed by your visit or call? You would be surprised how much life you can add to another person’s day.

1 comment:

Rae said...

Thanks for sharing this!

Deep Canyon

Deep Canyon
Follow the Way

Openness

Openness

Blog List